Types of membership:
CGA-PAKISTAN® welcomes and supports professionals from all around the world. No matter what industry you’re in or where you’re at in your career, you can apply. To have your qualifications assessed, you will need to complete a membership application.
Your membership application will determine if you are eligible to begin the CGA-PAKISTAN® Professional Program at professional, exemptions or you are required to successfully complete Technician level first.
To call yourself a CGA-PAKISTAN®, you must:
- hold a graduate degree or postgraduate degree recognized by CGA-PAKISTAN® in any discipline
- have demonstrated competence in our Technicians level units, usually demonstrated by the completion of an accredited degree
- have completed the CGA-PAKISTAN® professional program professional level, including the practical experience requirement, within six years
- undertake continuing professional development (CPD) activities each year
- comply with a code of conduct set by CGA-PAKISTAN®
Accountants who are qualified in countries other than Pakistan can apply for membership. CGA-PAKISTAN® Australia is in process of mutual recognition agreements with several international accounting bodies.
You must become an Associate (ACGA) in order to commence the professional level of the CGA-PAKISTAN® Program. As an ASA you have six years to complete the CGA-PAKISTAN® Program, including six education modules and the practical experience requirement, in order to become a CGA-PAKISTAN®.
Depending on your prior study and work experience, you may gain recognition towards your practical experience requirement and up to two elective segments.
As an ACGA, you also have access to the many benefits of membership. You will belong to a global network of CGA-PAKISTAN® members, and receive special rates on products and services, discounts on professional development and access to valuable resources to enhance your career.
Steps to Associate Membership of CGA-PAKISTAN® :
Step 1: Determine eligibility
If you are a member of any IFAC member body, you will be eligible to apply for CGA-PAKISTAN® membership if you:
- Have a recognized degree or do not have a degree but have at least five years’ work experience in professional accounting .
- Have successfully completed the Institute’s exams and training requirements.
- Are a member of good standing and not currently subject to any disciplinary sanctions or investigations.
- Have not been subject to any disciplinary sanctions in the past five years .
- Complete and pass the CGA-PAKISTAN® final (Professional ) stage examination.
Step 2: Application for Membership.
Following successful completion of Steps 1:
Complete the membership application form and submit it with the following:
- admission and subscription fees
- letter of good standing from your Institute, which is dated no older than one year prior to application and contains:
- Date you joined your Institute.
- Date current membership is fully paid to.
- Confirmation that you are not currently subject to any disciplinary sanctions or investigations and have not been subject to any disciplinary sanctions in the past five years.
- Certified true copies of degree(s).
- If you are not a degree holder you must provide a workplace testimonial from employer/s to confirm position and period of employment as well as evidence of five years practical experience as a professional accountant.
Step 3: Processing your application
Your application will take approximately 4 – 6 weeks to process.
Highly-experienced CGA-PAKISTAN®s can become a Fellow of CGA-PAKISTAN® (FCGA). You must be a CGA-PAKISTAN® with at least 15 years’ full-time work in accounting, finance or business, including at least five years in an executive position or as a public accountant.
Fellowship (FCGA) Award
The FCGA-PAKISTAN® designation is a CGA-PAKISTAN® award which recognizes members who provide exemplary service to CGA-PAKISTAN® the public, or achieve prominence through a variety of means. The procedure and criteria for granting the Fellow designation will be as follows.
- Nominees must be members in good standing.
- Nominees must have been admitted to membership at least ten (10) years before their nomination for the Fellow Award; although in extraordinary circumstances the committee can consider nominees who have been admitted at least two (2) years.
Except in extraordinary situations, nominations must demonstrate that the member has provided exceptional service or brought distinction to the profession in at least two (2) of the following areas:
- Service to CGA-PAKISTAN®.
- Service to a trade, industry or other professional organization related to the member’s career or business activities.
- Service to community, political or not-for-profit organizations. Contributions to the profession through research, teaching, writing or speaking on professional issues.
- Prominence in business, political, academic or international endeavors.
For items (i), (ii) and (iii), service includes board or committee involvement for a period of at least five (5) years.
- Nominations may be submitted by the CGA-PAKISTAN®or International chapters. It is suggested that no official motions at an Association level be made regarding these nominations. However, they are encouraged to limit their submission to truly exceptional circumstances.
- Nominations may be submitted by any five (5) members in good standing.
- Nominations must be received in the approved form, to be considered in the current year. This deadline may be extended at the discretion of the Honours and Awards Committee Chair.
- The Honours and Awards Committee may consult with the nominee’s sponsors, or any other individuals or organizations deemed necessary to develop a recommendation.
- The Honours and Awards Committee may:
- Approve – The nominee will be recommended to the Board for the Fellow designation.
- Defer – Usually this will occur when additional information is sought or when the Committee feels the timing to be inappropriate. Deferrals are for one (1) year only. Sponsors are required to up-date the nomination form.
- Reject – When the Committee concludes the nominee does not adequately meet the criteria, the nomination is rejected. Nothing prevents sponsors from re-nominating a rejected nominee in future years.
- The Honours and Awards Committee recommendations will be made to the Board at its first meeting following June 1 each year.
- Sponsors will be notified in writing of the Board’s decision by the Committee Chair within three (3) weeks following the Board meeting where the Fellow recommendations are considered.
Fellowship of CGA-PAKISTAN®:
Any member interested in becoming a fellow of the Institute must apply to Council to be considered for CGA-PAKISTAN® Fellowship Status. Please note fellowship status of CGA-PAKISTAN® is not automatic.
If you are an Associate Member of CGA-PAKISTAN® and have been in full membership for at least ten years you are entitled to apply for a CGA-PAKISTAN® fellowship. As a CGA-PAKISTAN® fellow, you will be part of an elite group of professionals.
Qualification for Fellowship
No person shall be eligible for admission as a Fellow of the Institute unless at the date of admission he or she has been an Associate for not less than ten years and meets the requirements, if any, as may be prescribed in Bye-Laws made by the Council.
How Do I apply for Fellowship:
There is no formal Application Form. Please send a letter addressed to the Secretary, Institute of Certified General Accountants.
Letter must have the following information:
- CGA-PAKISTAN® Membership Number
- Must state your Membership Commencement Date
- Must state you are a member in good standing for a period of not less than ten years
Where to send the application:
Applications for fellowship, should be sent to the following address:
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CGA-PAKISTAN®),
Office # 3, Third Floor, Fazal Archade,
F-11 Markaz, Islamabad.
Once your fellowship application has been approved, you can use the alternative designatory letters FCGA after your name.